If you are looking for a squat rack below $150, Weider platinum strength squat rack is one of the options that you would come across. There are a few others too and we have compiled them in one of our blogs. While some of them truly serve their purpose, many others are just crap and may not be suitable for serious fitness trainers. They are mostly for beginners who need something to start with.
In this blog, we will provide you with a detailed review of the Weider Platinum squat rack, and help you decide if it is worth your money. We will also provide you with some other squat rack options that are available in this price range. You can consider them in case the Weider one doesn’t fit your needs.
Quick Video Review
Let’s start our Weider Platinum Strength Squat Rack review by looking at its key features:
Features and specifications of Weider squat rack
- Dimensions: 46 inches tall, 46 inches wide, and 33 inches deep
- Weight-bearing capacity: 310 lbs
- Accessories included: Adjustable safety spotters and weight plate storage pegs
- Olympic-width squat rack suitable for various weightlifting and strength training exercises
- 90-day parts and labor warranty
A detailed review of Weider Platinum Squat rack
We don’t know much about the steel gauge of this frame, so we won’t be able to state how durable or solid it is. Most frames in this price range are made of 12 or 13 gauge steel and have low to moderate weight-bearing capacity. This one too can hold just 310 lbs, so it is obvious that the steel quality is not too great.
The manufacturer hasn’t mentioned anything about hole spacing, which is a crucial feature of any squat rack. Usually, most squats racks below $150 have 2-3 inches spacing between two holes. So, we can safely assume that the Weider squat rack too matches others. Westside hole pattern i.e. 1” hole spacing is available only in expensive racks.
The uprights can be adjusted but the base width is fixed. That shouldn’t be a problem because it’s Olympic-width makes it suitable for most types of exercises. Many buyers have confirmed that making height adjustments is pretty easy.
Now, although it comes with a height-adjustable feature like most other squat racks, the adjustment options are limited. If you are taller than 5.8’, this rack may not be suitable for you. Many buyers have stated that they had to put the rack to its maximum height for squatting and yet, buyers who are taller than 6’ weren’t able to use it at all.
PLEASE NOTE: ONLY 6’ AND 7’ BARBELLS CAN BE USED WITH THIS RACK. IT CANNOT ACCOMMODATE 5’ BARBELLS.
A few buyers have reported that the Weider Platinum Strength squat rack wiggles a lot, especially when reracking. If you are using heavy weights, it could wobble to an extent that you may start feeling unsafe. But, weighing down the rack with some weight plates can solve the issue. Nevertheless, do not use weights beyond its capacity no matter how solid it looks.
There are mixed responses regarding the assembly process. Many found it easy to assemble whereas many others had a real struggle. Although the assembly process is very standard, if you are not tool-friendly and have the least knowledge of assembling things, you will have to brainstorm. The instructions are quite vague, which could be because the manufacturer assumed buyers would know how to put it together.
Some buyers mentioned that the parts do not line up well. Moreover, they are cheaply made. So, you need to be very careful not to overtighten them or else they may bend.
The customer support number is rarely answered. You can email them for help but buyers had a hard time getting a reply.
A lot of buyers have confirmed that they received their package in a good condition. There was no beaten part with dents. Bad shipping and handling is a common issue. Even renowned brands such as Titan Fitness receive numerous complaints and negative feedback about how the product was not packed or handled carefully. Thankfully, Weider’s shipping partner is quite reliable.
- The price is its biggest selling point. Unless you are into competitive sports or a senior-level fitness enthusiast, you wouldn’t be requiring light-commercial grade equipment for your home gym. Being inexpensive, it fits in most of our budget and meets our needs too.
- Suitable for a wide range of exercises including squats, deadlifts, and benching. But, not suitable for taller people.
- Comes with weight pegs for weighing down the rack.
- The j-hooks are high-quality and reliable. They aren’t cheap hooks, so you don’t have to buy a pair separately. If you ever need to replace them, here are some of the best replacement j-hooks that you can consider.
- Shipping is fast and reliable.
- It is suitable for beginners only. Intermediates will outgrow it much sooner. 310 lbs isn’t much if you are truly into strength training. Moreover, 310 lbs is the max limit. We wouldn’t suggest you go beyond 250lbs with this rack.
- As mentioned, it is not suitable for tall people. When we say tall, we don’t mean 6.2’. We mean 5.8’ and above. The rack should have been suitable for at least 6.2’ people.
- Assembly instructions should have been better.
- Issues such as non-aligning parts are pretty serious. Such issues affect the overall quality of the product and the brand as such.
- No one wants to keep chasing customer care. They should be prompt and readily available.
Our Rating: 2.5/5
We conclude that Weider Platinum squat rack is not worth your money. 310lbs weight-capacity is not appealing at all. Plus, there are many other flaws such as misfitting parts, low height, poor built, etc. If you want to buy it only because of its low price, there are many better options that cost as much as the Weider squat rack and yet, they have a solid built and better weight-bearing capacity:
- CAP Strength Power Rack
- Yaheetech Adjustable Squat Rack
- Everyday Essentials Multi-Function Power Rack
- ZENY Pair of Adjustable Barbell Rack Stand
are some of our top recommendations.