Percussive therapy, also known as vibration therapy, is highly recommended for people who are into competitive sports and even for fitness enthusiasts who love extensive and rigorous training. Numerous studies have proven that this therapy that provides an accelerated burst of pressure on the tissues, which:
- Helps the sore muscles heal faster, so you can continue your workouts without requiring frequent break days.
- Improves the drainage of lymphatic systems which helps improve your immune system.
- Relaxes your connective tissues so you feel fewer aches and pain.
- Alleviates the pain from hardened muscles.
Overall, this type of pulsating massage helps you relax and sleep well, which is what every one of us wants at the end of the day. Percussion massage is done using electric tools known as Percussion massagers, or massage guns. These tools resemble power drills or jigsaw machines and come with various attachments (mostly massage balls) that provide you with various degrees of pressure and feel.
If you quickly browse Amazon, you will see percussion massagers that cost somewhere between $100 and $2000. Now, as expected, the $100 ones are just cheaper Chinese products that may not work after a few uses. A decent percussion massager gun will cost you around $400-$700 and the best ones that offer you varying speed and intensity will cost you above $600-$1000.
Don’t worry. We have an inexpensive DIY solution for you and that's what this blog is about.
Here, we will describe how you can make your own massage gun for less than $125 and within just 5 minutes. The process is pretty easy, so people who are nervous about DIYing, will also be able to make their own massage gun.
There are so many tutorials on how to make a massage gun but this is the easiest one (we believe). We have done all the research and experimentation for you. The products that we have selected are the best of their own varieties. They are durable and easy to use. Trust us, the final product will be as good as any $400-$600 massage gun.
Are you ready?
What you would need
- A jigsaw
- A jigsaw massager adapter with various massaging attachments. Yes, they are readily available. You don’t need to buy a separate adaptor, styrofoam ball, a tennis ball, etc. That's how the process becomes faster and foolproof.
WORX WX550L 20V AXIS 2-in-1 Reciprocating Saw and Jigsaw
Well, any jigsaw will work but if you don’t have one, we would recommend you buy the Work Axis 2-in-1 tool. The primary reasons why we vouch for this specific jigsaw is because:
- It offers you a variable speed almost instantly. When you are massaging your lower back or a sensitive area of your body, you would want to be gentle and slow. On the other hand, you would want a really intense massage on your leg muscles. Speed and its control are really important aspects of a good massage gun. Cheaper jigsaws can’t provide you this.
- It is a cordless jigsaw. There are many other cordless jigsaws too but this one has an amazing 1.5Ah 20V battery. On a single charge, it can last up to 20-25 minutes, which is enough for your massage. Other tools in its price range barely last 10-15 minutes.
- It weighs just 4.2 lbs. Anyone can comfortably hold it at any angle for at least a few minutes. Heavier jigsaws won’t make good massage guns because you will feel more pain lifting them and less fun enjoying the massage.
- It has a pivoting head. You can adjust its angle to suit your comfort and convenience. Perfect for hard-to-reach areas.
Quite a few buyers have used Work Axis jigsaw to make theragun type percussion massage guns and they are very happy with the result. One buyer has even stated that he was able to beat his plantar fasciitis pain within just a month by using only this tool! Isn’t it great?
Mobility Bit Jigsaw Massage Adapter and Bits
This is the crucial element of the massage gun. The type and the quality of the massage heads you use make a real difference in the quality of massage you receive.
Many tutorials ask you to buy a jigsaw adapter, a golf ball, a lacrosse ball, and many other objects that can be used for percussion massage. However, buying so many things separately can cost you a lot of time, money, and energy. Buying a combo pack is easier and cheaper.
This Mobility Bit set comes with its own jigsaw adapter and three different massaging tools.
- The jigsaw adapter is made of aerospace steel, which is why it is more durable than the cheaper ones made of low-grade steel.
- The adapter is fully compatible with the Worx, Ryobi, Makita, Milwaukee, Bosch, and Black + Decker. If you have any other jigsaw, you can contact the manufacturer to find out its compatibility.
- The three massaging heads you get are called the Baby bit, the Precision bit, and the Spongey bit. Each of them has its own use. If you want an intense deep tissue massage, use the Baby bit one. The Precision bit is for massaging specific trigger points and the Sponger bit is for sensitive areas where you can’t use the other heads.
- The manufacturer claims that the massage heads are clinically tested to be safe and comfortable on your skin unlike styrofoam balls and golf balls that can cause redness, itching, irritation, and even tissue damage.
- Mobility Bit kit comes with a 1-year warranty and 30 days money-back guarantee. Other cheaper massaging heads rarely come with any warranty.
- The company has an impeccable customer service team. Many buyers have stated that they easily got replacements for broken parts. No repeated emails or calls. They are very prompt.
Now let’s learn how to combine these two tools to create a massage gun.
If you use a tennis ball, a styrofoam ball, or a lacrosse ball, you will have to drill them and create a slot for the adapter to go in. This is a tricky process. The depth and diameter of the slot have to be exactly the same of the adapter pin so the attachments can fit in snugly. Unless you are really good at drilling, you won’t be able to do the job correctly. If the balls are not fully secured, they fall off.
We have chosen Mobility Bit because it doesn’t require any drilling. Everything comes ready to use. Just screw the balls on the adapter pin and then put them in the blade slot just like you would put a blade. That’s it! You are ready to go in just a few minutes. Plus, it is easy to change the balls as and when needed. Numerous buyers have stated that the massaging heads remain well secured throughout the massage.
Many buyers have claimed that when you assemble these two products, what you get is much better than a lacrosse ball on an adapter with reciprotools. Even clinical therapists have found this DIY massage gun equally effective.
Things that could bother you
Well, DIYing often comes with some compromises and this one is no exception. Thankfully, the only issue that we found when we assembled these pieces is that the massage gun will be loud enough to bother others in the room. Otherwise, the assembled piece works just fine and you wouldn’t feel as if you are using a DIY massage gun.
A few buyers have stated that the price of the Mobility Bit set is much higher than they anticipated. Honestly, we agree with them. It shouldn’t be more than $15 but we don’t mind paying the extra money. It takes out a lot of hassles from DIYing and the end product matches the quality of a decently priced massage gun.