Click to View Transcription of Video
Squat wedges are in trend these days. The manufacturers such as Iron Bull Strength, Prime Fitness, Elite FTS, etc. are heavily marketing them, claiming that they help the squatters maintain the correct posture and avoid the injuries related to this intense form of physical exercise.
However, there is no scientific evidence available that can prove these claims to be true. A couple of studies have been conducted to analyze if raising the heel or using a heel wedge can benefit squatters. But, no solid conclusion has been achieved yet.
So, if you have been thinking of buying the Iron Bull Strength squat wedges, assuming that they will keep you safe from squat-related injuries, please understand that they aren’t as helpful as the manufacturer claims. Plus, we found them uncomfortable and even unsafe.
Before we brief you why we do not recommend them, we would like to admit that Iron Bull Strength squat wedges are great in terms of what they are meant for. They are solid, well-designed, grippy, firm and yet soft, and durable. They are a bit smaller than what we had expected. But, we have a problem with the idea of squat wedges and not specifically the Iron Bull Strength ones.
Let's get into more details.
What are Iron Bull Strength Squat Wedges meant for?
As obvious from the product images, these wedges are individual, angled stepping platforms. You need to put your heels on the higher side and toes on the lower side. The manufacturer claims that by keeping your heels higher while squatting, these wedges will help improve your squat form and reduce the stress on your knees, hips, and ankle. Keeping heels high also helps engage more muscle groups, making your legs stronger.
Iron Bull Strength squat wedges:
- Are made of super dense rubber polymer
- Are not connected so you can adjust them as per your need
- Have a max 2” height and provide 15 degree of incline
- Measure 8” X 5”
- Portable and lightweight. Weigh 1.1 lbs
- Have an anti-slip surface
- Can bear 1000+ lbs weight
- Comes with lifetime warranty
Iron Bull Strength squat wedges have received a 4.9 star rating on Amazon. Buyers with limited ankle flexibility have found them extremely useful for deep squatting. They have confirmed that it is truly non-slip and highly dense.
We agree with them but we don’t like its functionality, as we mentioned at the beginning of the article. Let's talk about why we don’t like it:
Why are Iron Bull Strength Squat wedges risky?
- Squatting requires a lot of adjustments that we hardly realize. For example; we have never consciously realized how many times we adjust our feet to attend the perfect distance between our feet. If you want to use wedges, you will need someone to keep adjusting them for you because you will be having heavy weights on your shoulder. You might mark your feet position with a chalk and then keep plating them on it but even then micro adjustments cannot be avoided.
- The size of Iron Bull Strength wedges is much smaller than what we expected and there are high chances that you may place your feet off the position and fall off. Imagine what could happen if you fall off with even a medium weight! These are not worth taking such a big risk.
- These are ridiculously expensive. The current price is about $80, which isn’t justified at all. As we have mentioned in our video, we would rather recommend you a pair of weightlifting shoes instead of these unstable, dangerous pairs of squat wedges. Here are some of the best weightlifting shoes that we recommend.
Our Rating: 2/5
Unnecessary, unsafe, and expensive. If you want to improve your squat form, you should work on improving your squatting flexibility instead of using these wedges.