Click to View Transcription of Video
Quick Review Summary for People in a Hurry
Features: Made of ABS plastic. Has smooth nodes that can penetrate deep into lower back muscles and help you regain your spinal curve. Exclusively meant for lower back and recommended for people suffering from flat back issues.
Pros: Effective for flat back, sturdy and stable design.
Cons: Being just a piece of plastic, it is expensive. Has very limited use.
Our Rating: 3.5/5
Verdict: Has very limited use, so not worth it
Full Written Review:
- Did you know about 40 million working Americans suffer from chronic lower back pain? That's 1 in every 4 people in the American workforce!
- Low back pain is the major cause of disability worldwide.
- Back pain is the most common reason why Americans miss their work. After thorough research, it has been concluded that these missed days account for 264 million lost workdays in a year!
- Low back pain costs $50 billion to the healthcare industry of America.
- Common reasons for back pain are congenital deformity, sprain, strain, traumatic injuries, degenerative diseases, obesity, and neurological problems.
- Weekend warriors i.e. people who exercise a lot during the weekend and none during the weekdays are more prone to back pain than people who exercise almost daily.
- Athletes are more likely to suffer from pain and stiffness in the lower back especially if they are into football, basketball, skiing, ice skating, running, golf, soccer, and other forms of activity that puts a lot of strain on the spine.
You will be shocked to know that even though back pain is so common among us, there are only a handful of treatment options available. And most of them are ridiculously expensive.
Thankfully, you don’t always have to seek such expensive options; unless you are suffering from chronic pain that is impacting the quality of your life. Self-massage with the help of some tools can be of great help if you are suffering from stiffness and minor back pain.
However, a major problem with these tools is that not many of them are specifically designed for the lower back. They are just generic massagers and they may not be enough to target the trigger points of your back and spine.
PSO-Back, however, is different. Manufactured by PSO-RITE, this massager is exclusively meant for targeting and releasing the trigger points in the lower back muscles.
What is PSO-Back?
This tool is a one-of-its-kind patented product that, as per the manufacturer, helps maintain the natural curve of your lower spine. It also helps improve your posture, release the tension in that area, decompress the spine, and provide a good stretch to the stiff muscles. PSO-back massage tool can be used to treat discomfort and pain related to pinched nerves, herniated discs, and spinal stenosis.
It is basically a hard plastic mould with 10 nodes; 5 on each side. The nodes mimic the thumb of a therapist. They can apply as little or as much pressure as you want because you will be putting your weight on them. This tool is not flat like PSO-Spine. Rather, it has a curve that mimics the curve of our lower back.
How to use PSO-back?
As mentioned above, it is a manual massager just like an acupressure stick. You have to keep it on a flat surface and lie down on it in a way that its curve sits exactly under the curve of your spine. Move your body a bit to massage the trigger points. Stay in this position for 30-60 seconds, rest for a few seconds and repeat. Find out more trigger points and keep repeating the process for some time.
Do not overdo it. It isn’t a massager; it is a trigger point release tool. So, it digs really inside and applies the pressure right where it is needed. Overdoing can exaggerate the pain or discomfort.
PSO-back massage tool works with just your bodyweight. You can control the pressure by putting as much or as less of your weight on it. This makes it easier to use this tool on sensitive areas such as the back. Other electronic tools come with preset functions and sometimes it becomes difficult to choose the right one.
You can watch this video for more details on how to use the PSO-back massage tool:
Embedded code: <iframe width=”640″ height=”360″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/FM6hMBGWYWA” frameborder=”0″ allow=”accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture” allowfullscreen></iframe>
Features of PSO-back
- Dimensions: Length 10.87″, width 6.25″, Height 4.9″
- Material: ABS plastic
- Color: 5 different color options available
- Weight:1 lbs
- Made in USA
- Manual operation
- Patented US Pat. No. D908,236
Made of durable material
Just like PSO-Rite, which is the psoas massage tool, the PSO-back is also made of high-quality ABS plastic. Being impact-resistant, this tool is going to last really long. It can bear your entire weight. It isn’t going to crack or break so soon. The entire surface is smooth, so no need to fear getting a cut.
Lightweight and portable
This tool weighs just 1 lbs, so you can carry it in your gym bag. If you are suffering from stiffness in your back, you can also take it along to your office and keep it behind you while sitting in your chair. Portability matters for massage tools. You won’t want to use a bulky, battery-operated, noisy tool in a public place.
Who can use PSO-back?
No matter what the manufacturer claims, PSO-back has a very specific use.
It is a curved massage tool exclusively meant to help you target the trigger points located in the curved part of your spine i.e. your lower back. You can’t use it on any other part of your body, not even your middle or upper back. If you try to do so, you could end up with an aggressive massage because it is really difficult to balance yourself on a curved tool.
This tool intends to help you maintain the natural curve of your spine. But, most of us sit for an extended period and our spine is already too curved. If we use it frequently, we could end up exaggerating the issue. So, unless you have a flat back, this tool can do more harm than good.
Although the manufacturer claims that PSO-back is safe for use, we suggest that you should use it with caution. Maybe you should consult your doctor or therapist before using it.
- Durable and safe as compared to numerous other massage tools that snap under pressure. ABS plastic is impact-resistant, so you can place your entire body weight on it knowing that it isn’t going to break and cut you.
- One of the few massage tools designed exclusively for the lower back. If you really have flatback syndrome, it can help you regain the curve and deal with stiffness too. Other massage tools are too generic.
- PSO-back has grippy feet so it stays firmly on almost all surfaces. If you have poor balance, this could help you prevent accidental slippages and injuries.
- Just like PSO-Rite, this tool is too expensive. It is just a piece of ABS plastic. We find it overpriced. However, if it works for you, don’t hesitate to buy it because, as we said above, not many tools are meant exclusively for lower back. Although you can use all of them for a lower back massage, they won’t be able to provide you with a deeper trigger point massage.
- As mentioned above, this tool is only meant for people who genuinely have a flat back. Others should refrain from using it.
Our Rating: 3.5/5
PSO-back is a fairly new product with not enough reviews and ratings that can help us guess how well it has been received by the buyers. We ordered it for ourselves and didn’t really find it worthy to have a special massage tool for the lower back (unless you have a specific issue). PSO-spine is a better option. It is flat just like PSO-Rite psoas massage tool and you can use it to massage the trigger points of the entire back, even calves, thighs, etc. If you are suffering from back pain which is due to tight Psoas muscles, try PSO-rite instead because other tools may not work. Here is its full review.