The Fitness Reality 810xlt Super Max Power Cage is a mid-priced home gym product for intermediate as well as advanced level weight trainers. As expected, it is sturdy and heavy-duty. It offers 19 height adjustment options. Although the hole spacing is not as per Westside spacing standards (which is the gold standard in power racks), it is still a well-designed product with options to add additional accessories and attachments and create a multi-functional home gym setup.
When assembled, it weighs 133.5 lbs, which is not too impressive when compared to the commercial-grade power racks (which will cost you more than $1000). But, 133lbs weight is enough to provide you adequate stability so you won’t miss the floor bolting option.
“Bottom line: The Fitness Reality 810XLT rack is an unbelievable value. (I purchased it for only $169). It is rated for 800 lbs, has good space, does not need to be bolted down and is also very stable. The 800 lbs capacity is plenty for most people of all ages who want to do strength training. For reference, using the calculator on strength level, if you could squat 300 lb you would be squatting more than 65% of men ages 24-39 who strength train. You don’t need more than this rack for a home gym.”
After studying this testimonial and many others, we believe it is a great entry-level power rack for serious weight trainers who are looking for affordable and yet stable and durable power cage.
To be honest, you can find a good number of power cages that are cheaper than Fitness Reality 810XLT but most of them are meant for beginners. They do not have a strong structure and cannot handle a lot of weight and rigorous use. Such squat racks will wear out within a few months. If Fitness Reality 810XLT fits your budget and your workout needs, you must go for it.
Let's take a quick look at its important features and then, we will give you a detailed description of Fitness Reality 810xlt Super Max Power Cage so you would know what to expect from it.
Features and specifications of Fitness Reality 810xlt Super Max Power Cage
- Dimensions: 50.5” L x 46.5” W x 83.5” H
- Weight-bearing capacity is 800 lbs
- Accessories included: 2 chrome dual mounted safety bars, 2 safety locks, and 2 rear stability bars
- The frame is made of 2” X 2” tubular steel which means it is made of 14 gauge steel.
- The safety bars are made of 1 inch solid steel.
- Reality 810xlt Super Max squat cage offers 19 height-adjustments options with 3 inches spacing between each hole.
- This Fitness Reality squat rack is also available with additional attachments of lat pull system and weight bench combo.
A detailed review of Fitness Reality 810XLT
Build quality and stability
- The frame is made of 14 gauge steel. For those who don’t know, the higher the steel gauge, the lower will be its thickness. But, you need not worry as 14 gauge is still durable and rock solid.
- It can bear 800 lbs of weight without any stability issues.
- The floor anchors are missing and you wouldn’t need them because most buyers have stated that it is pretty stable.
- Further, the stability bars at the back help prevent any wobbling issues. A few buyers have stated that the upper stability bar may interfere with your workouts and you have to be careful not to hit your head. But the majority of the buyers aren’t really bothered about it.
Fitness Reality 810XLT doesn't adhere to the standard Westside 1” hole pattern. The spacing between each hole is 3”. If you are an intermediate or advanced level weight trainer, you will be Ok with it but beginners or those who are yet to master the art of lifting heavy weights may find it uncomfortable, as pushing your body with 200lbs for an additional 3” is not that easy.
1” and even 2” hole spacing is found in expensive power racks but there are a few exceptions such as the TDS power rack that offers 2” hole spacing. But, it has a low height and it does wobble slightly. Here is a detailed review of TDS power rack.
It is not compact and not meant for rooms with a low ceiling. Fitness Reality 810xlt is meant for serious trainers and has enough depth to let you exercise comfortably and safely. The walk-in area is 50.5” X 46.5” X 83.5”, which means it requires a good amount of space. Plus, the plate storage area is at the back so you cannot keep it closer to the wall or a door.
Assembly is easy. You can do it alone but you can save some time if you take help. The instruction manual is well-written and the bolts are packed with step numbering on them to make it easier to identify. Many buyers have stated that the tools included are cheap quality ones. Although they work, using your own tools can make it further easier and faster to assemble.
“The rack took me about 2 hours with help and we were careful to set it up exactly as the manual says. We loved how clear the manual was for the first time in the history of all instruction manuals. Good job Fitness Reality for making an easy to understand set of instructions.”
Shipping and delivery
Shipping is fast. Most buyers have stated that they did receive their product on time, even during the pandemic.
Fitness Reality 810XLT power cage is shipped in one box. While the packaging is good, the handling needs to be improved. Some buyers have stated that they received severely damaged packages, which was majorly due to mishandling.
- The rear stability bars help prevent wobbling issues. Not many power cages below $500 have them.
- The walk-in depth is enough to perform a wide range of exercises without any interference.
- The overhead chin-up/pull up bar can be set up at multiple positions to target specific muscle groups.
- The weight capacity of this Fitness Reality 810XLT squat cage is its main selling feature. It is hard to find such strong power cages in the price range it is available. It is suitable for almost all types of weightlifters.
- You can buy additional attachments such as lat pull down, bench, etc. as and when you are ready to invest and create a gym-grade workout station at home.
- Although it has amazing stability, some buyers stated that they would prefer to anchor it to the floor. But, there is no way you can anchor it or weigh it down.
- The safety bars and safety hooks serve their purpose well but j-hooks would have been better. Anyways, you can buy them separately when needed. Here are some of the best replacement j-hooks for power cages.
- Fitness Reality needs to improve its customer support. Many buyers have stated that they received a delayed response on their requests. Some of them even had to contact the seller multiple times to get their issues resolved.
We are giving this a rating of 4 out of 5.0.
From its depth to its stability, everything about the Fitness Reality 810XLT power cage sounds great.
If you are looking for a less expensive option, check out our detailed review on Fuel Pureformance power cage.