I saw someone asked on Reddit the other day if it was possible to “build your own cheap folding squat rack that wouldn't take up much space”?
At first I thought this was ridiculous and I was right.
The answer to this questions is ALWAYS No
Never build your own squat rack. It just never makes sense with how cheap Squat Racks are these days.
Hell, you can buy an acceptable rack from Walmart for less than $200 these days
If you really just have a hard-on for a wooden squat rack…
- First read this post on Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/AskEngineers/comments/9iugwm/whats_the_maximum_force_a_wooden_squat_rack_could/
- Realize that what you want to do will likely cost more money and definitely more time than just buying a cheap rack.
There are some options though for building your own rack
You didn't really think I would leave you with nothing did you?
Option 1: Buff Dudes Wooden Squat Rack
Option 2: The Quarantine Special – Wooden Squat Stands
Want to explore more of our site?
Looking to build an amazing but affordable home gym?
Follow these steps:
(Click on the + and – to expand/collapse)
Get a History Lesson!?
- Rack Information:
- Buying Guides:
- Individual Rack Reviews:
- Rack Accessories:
- Best High-End ($500+) Olympic Barbells
- Best Mid Range $200-500 Olympic Barbells for Your Home Gym
- 9 Best Budget Olympic Barbells ($200 and under)
- Rogue Echo Bar 2.0 Review
- Best Safety Squat Bars for 2022
- Titan Fitness Economy Olympic Bar Review
- Cap Barbell’s “The Beast” 7ft Olympic Barbell Review – After 4 Years
- Kabuki Strength Duffalo Bar Review
- Best Trap Bars in 2022
Plates and Bumper Plates
We advise getting used whenever possible. We created an article with some tips on how to find used equipment.