If you are a novice gym enthusiast who is looking for an affordable and tall full cage to support your fitness needs, the Fuel Pureformance power cage is a great option to consider. It costs less than $200, so you must not expect too much from it but, as mentioned, it is decent enough for beginners and even for intermediate level powerlifters.
Since it has a weight-bearing capacity of 600lbs and doesn’t have much to accessorize, bodybuilders and athletes may not like it much. Moreover, they will outgrow it soon.
The low price of the Fuel Pureformance power cage often leaves people confused about its quality and stability, which is quite obvious. But, many buyers have stated that although it is a very basic home gym equipment, the manufacturer hasn’t compromised with its built.
Here is what a happy buyer has to say:
“I got the 6′ rack. I live in a small apartment. You might can tell from the picture I don’t have a lot of space. The rack fits nicely under the ceiling that has been lowered to accommodate the HVAC ductwork. This rack is plenty good enough for a novice, a senior (like myself), or a teenager. The specifications say the rack has a 500 lb. weight capacity. My goal is to bench between 150 to 200 pounds. If your goal is much higher than that, just to be on the safe side, I would suggest a heavier rack.”
This and many other testimonials state that Fuel Pureformance full cage is a good investment for your home gym. Below, we have reviewed this power rack in detail so you can make an informed decision and invest in the right piece of equipment.
Features and specifications of Fuel Pureformance Power Cage:
- Available in 6ft and 7ft height.
- Weight-bearing capacity is 600lbs as per Walmart and the manufacturer’s website. A few buyers, in their reviews, have stated that it is 500 lbs.
- Accessories included: Safety catches, hooks, and a pullup bar
- There are built-in holes that serve as resistance band attachments.
- The frame is made of 12 and 14 gauge steel tubing and is powder-coated to prevent rusting.
- The frame has upright gusset plates on all four vertical bars.
- When assembled, the 6 feet one measures 43.62” Wide x 47.5” Deep x 72” High and 7 feet one measures 43.62″L x 47.24″W x 84″H.
A detailed review of Fuel Pureformance Power Rack
Build quality and stability
12 and 14 gauge steel frame with upright gussets help make Fuel Pureformance rack a highly durable and stable home gym equipment. Further, there are floor anchors so you can attach the cage and ensure even more stability.
If you haven’t heard about gussets, these are the triangular metal pieces attached to vertical and horizontal posts to help transfer the stress between the connected pieces and keep the joints safe. Most power racks have them. This Fuel Pureformance squat rack too has them. Being inexpensive doesn’t mean the manufacturer has cut down on the built.
600lbs weight-bearing capacity is impressive in this price range. It is almost impossible to find a full rack in this price range but you can find a few half racks. If you are an intermediate level weight trainer, you can consider Progear 1600 Ultra Strength power rack, which costs around $50-80 more but can bear 800 lbs.
If your budget is even lower, you can buy CAP Barbell Power Rack Exercise Stand. It is a half rack with 500 lbs weight capacity. It costs about $40 less than Fuel Pureformance squat cage.
Safety catches: a redundant feature
Fuel Pureformance power rack has safety catches and not j-hooks. Safety catches are basically thick bolts or pegs. They were in use a few years ago but most power racks these days come with j-hooks. Safety catches were replaced because they offered a low area of contact with the bar, which is why they were not absolutely safe. J-hooks are basically j-cups. They are much better at holding the weight bars.
Well, this doesn’t mean Fuel Pureformance squat cage is unsafe. As mentioned above, it is safe for beginners who aren’t lifting heavy weights. The safety pins will be able to hold them safely. Moreover, you replace them anytime with j-hooks. It will still be cheaper than buying any other full cage. Here are some of the best replacement j-hooks that you can buy while ordering the Fuel Pureformance power rack.
It doesn’t come with detailed instructions but this power cage is pretty easy to assemble. We have thoroughly studied the responses of the buyers and most of them have stated that it can be assembled alone. You would need about 45 minutes to 2 hours to assemble it depending on your skills.
Here is what a buyer has to say about assembly and the safety catches we have discussed above:
“Everything was shipped ahead of anticipated date, no missing pieces, relatively easy assembly, took me 45 minutes to put together. I have put 350 pounds to the test with no issues. There is a slight wobble and I would guess if you were slamming around heavier weights stability might be an issue. Only real issue I have had is the catch pins bend and angle down causing the bar to roll to the edge of the pins.”
Packaging, Shipping, and Delivery
The Fuel Pureformance power cage is shipped in one package. A few buyers have stated that the shipping needs to be improved. The packages they received were damaged and some parts were bent and dented, which was majorly due to mishandling while delivery.
- As mentioned, it is very inexpensive. We couldn’t find any full cage that you can buy below $200 except this one. Others are half cages that limit the number and type of exercises you can do.
- You can buy a 6ft or 7ft cage depending on your height. Both of them are the same, except their height.
- Stability and adjustment options are not compromised despite it being so inexpensive.
- You can use the floor attachments to secure it and avoid wobbling issues (which isn’t really a concern with this product).
- It has a compact footprint for small spaces.
- As mentioned above, Fuel Pureformance squat rack comes with safety catches and not j-hooks, which are more trustworthy.
- The paint job is pathetic. The blue paint on the top bar, the sidebars, and the hooks come off easily and you will have to keep clearing the peelings frequently.
- If you are willing to spend $50-$80 extra, you can buy Progear 1600 Ultra Strength power rack, which has a better weight-bearing capacity and additional features that this one is missing. Other full racks are expensive.
Our Rating: 4.6
We love this product but we are not fond of its safety catchers. Otherwise, it is a fantastic power rack for people who are new to weight lifting and even for those who prefer lighter weights. As obvious from its price, it is a very basic squat rack, so keep your expectations accordingly.
If you want to explore more options, do check out our blog on the best Walmart squat racks.