Table of Contents
Health and fitness is a booming industry and will always be; after all, who doesn’t like to have a well-toned body. Whether it is about trying a new diet that promises to help you achieve miraculous results overnight or buying the latest fitness tools for your home gym, we do not hesitate to spend our time and money on experimenting with new things that claim to help us stay fit. One such thing that is highly in demand these days is thick grips. These are simple grips meant to be clamped on any of your weight lifting/muscle building equipment such as dumbbells, barbell, pull-up bars, etc. They increase the thickness of the bar, thereby making you engage more muscles and achieve faster, better results.
It all started with Fat Gripz, the first of its kind product that was launched a few years ago to help people mimic thick bar training at home. The manufacturer of Fat Gripz marketed it heavily claiming that it can make your fingers, wrist, and forearm work harder than they normally do. The harder they work, the better results you will achieve. Soon, celebrities started vouching for these thick grip products, drawing the attention of millions of fitness enthusiasts as well as other potential competitors. Now, there are hundreds of thick grip products sold on Amazon and hundreds of other online stores. Many of them cost a lot less than Fat Gripz, but not all of them are worth buying. Some cheap thick grips products are made of poor quality silicon and they won’t last even for a few months. In this blog, we will brief you more about thick grips and provide you with a list of some of the best-rated products that you can consider.
Are thick grips effective?
That’s a genuine question. All of us have enough clutter in our home gym, so there is no point buying weight lifting grips if they are not really worthy of the space. Thankfully, they are. A recent study conducted by Stony Brook University and Mississippi State University concluded that fat grips help increase strength and athletic performance. (1) Another study published in The Journal of Strength & Conditioning Research concluded that they can significantly increase the muscular activities of the forearms and shoulders, thereby assisting in faster muscle building. (2) Many other studies have concluded that increasing the diameter of the bar will help you engage more muscles than you usually do. (3) These studies are enough to prove that fat grips are definitely meant to be a part of every home gym.
Benefits of the best fat grips
There’s a lot more to fat grips than just building more muscles and strength. Here are some more reasons why it is in demand these days:
- They help improve your grip strength. Poor grip strength is the reason why many of us are not able to build enough mass on our back and biceps. The best fat grips will help you improve your grip strength and perform heavier deadlifts easily and safely.
- It helps take the pressure off the elbows. Thin bars put more pressure on the elbows and rotator cuffs. The fat grips increase their diameter and help distribute the weight more evenly. The pressure shifts to the forearms and arms, thereby keeping your elbows safe from injuries.
- Thicker handles help activate the smaller muscles of the arms and forearms, which are otherwise ignored. No matter how hard you work, the weaker muscle groups can affect the results you achieve, which is why fitness enthusiasts and athletes are now focusing on them as well.
- Thicker handles also help you increase the total body contraction instead of just forearms and arms. Using just a simple fat grip, you will be able to target your chest, shoulders, core muscles, and back muscles.
Side effects of fat grips
No such side effect of fat grips is known so far. However, if you are allergic to rubber, you may suffer from rashes in your palm. Chances of allergic reactions are higher when you use a cheap weight lifting grip, which is made of low-grade rubber or silicon. Fat Gripz and other products listed below are not made of any such low-grade, allergy-causing materials, so you can safely buy them, even if you have sensitive skin.
Who can use thick grips
It can be used by almost everyone who wants to improve their upper body strength. However, we do not recommend them for beginners. If you are new to strength training, begin with thin bars. Once you have mastered using them, you can start using the fat grips. This is because using fat grips requires more concentration and more practice. If you are a beginner, you may not be able to balance them properly and may hurt yourself.
What to look for while buying thick grips
As mentioned above, a lot of fitness equipment manufacturers have started selling thick grips. But not all of them are worth buying. Here are a few things/features that you must look for while buying the best fat grip for your home gym:
- Should be made of high-quality material. Prefer the ones that are made of high-quality rubber and avoid the cheaper rubber and silicone grips, as they won’t last long.
- They should have a large surface area. You should not have to struggle to accommodate your entire palm on it. The larger the surface area, the lesser will be the strain on your elbows and wrists.
- They should be made of food-grade, non-toxic materials.
- They should have an ergonomic design to prevent slippages and injury.
Top Product: Fat Gripz
This multiple award winner product is perfect for people who want to build up their arm size and strength. The manufacturer claims that it has been used by many NFL players, bodybuilders, Special Forces soldiers, UFC fighters, crossfit athletes, and thousands of fitness enthusiasts across the globe. There are three types of Fat Gripz; the One Series, the Original Bestseller, and the Extreme. All three of them are equally effective but they are meant for different sets of exercises. Each of them comes with a 100% money guarantee for 30 days.
- Can be used on any dumbbell, barbell, or chin-up bar.
- Made of military grade material and, therefore, the manufacturer claims that it will last for a lifetime.
- Perfectly replicates the thick bars used by athletes.
- Has received many prestigious awards.
- A few buyers have complained that it didn’t fit their hands. This is not an issue with the product. The thick grips are available in three different sizes in terms of diameter and you need to choose the one that you believe will fit best.
- Some buyers have stated that the rubbery smell takes time to go.
Summary: With 4.7 star rating and more than 2300 testimonials, it is definitely one of the best fat grips to buy.
Best for Powerblocks: E2shop Dumbbell Grips
So the great thing I discovered about these Fat Grips is that they are only 4 inches long and so they fit perfectly inside Power Blocks Dummbells unlike Fat Gripz and many of the other grips products.
- Fit inside Power Block Dumbbells (Most Grip Products don’t)
- May not be long enough for some hands
- Do not fit as well around the barbell as Fat Gripz
Summary: If you have Power Blocks, get these!
Best Value Winner: Iron Bull Strength Alpha Grips 2.0
With 4.7 star rating and more than 350 Amazon reviews, it deserves to be in the list of the best fat grips. It comes in a standard size, measuring 2 inch in diameter. The manufacturer claims that you can use it in any set of exercise machine and bars, thereby turning any exercise into extreme muscle building workouts. Iron Pull Strength Alpha grip bars have a unique curved design that provides a more natural hand placement.
- Can be used on any dumbbell, barbell, cable attachments, or exercise machine handles.
- Has a patented ergonomic design for better grip and safety.
- The manufacturer claims that it can fit into any bar within 5 seconds.
- Made of high-quality rubber.
- Comes with lifetime warranty.
- A few buyers complained that they didn’t fit their pullup bars.
Summary: Not as comfortable as Fat Gripz, but it’s quite a bit cheaper and highly recommended for beginners.
Interesting Alternative Award: Grip Power Pads
These are not fat grips in the true sense but they are equally simple, convenient, and effective. No wonder why they have received 4.8 star rating from more than 2000 reviews. The rating itself speaks volumes about their usability. Although being marketed as an alternative to gym workout gloves, they help increase the diameter of the exercising bar, thereby helping you sweat more and get more. These grip pads feature a professional patented design that prevents slippages, calluses, and fatigue.
- Available in different varieties, so can you choose the one that best suits your needs.
- Can be used to perform power lift, deadlift, lat pulldown, shrugs, low rows, pull ups, and a lot more.
- Full palm coverage.
- Textured patented design that prevents slippages.
- No restriction on the palm movement.
- It is more like a pad. There is no locking facility.
Summary: Although not being a proper fat grip with a ‘clamp and use’ structure, it is still a very economical and useful product for mimicking thick bar training. Perfect for beginners.
Yes4All Gym Essentials – Barbell Grips
Sold in pairs, these fat grip bands can be used for crossfit, WOD, muscle strength, and bodybuilding training. They are made of high-density, non-slip rubber. They feature an ergonomic design and can be used by beginners as well. The edges have an arch that provides comfort as well as prevents slippage. It has received 4.6 star rating and more than 250 reviews on Amazon. .
- Comes as a pair and is much cheaper than other best fat grips.
- Can be used to do a wide variety of workouts.
- Measures 4.7” in length and has 2.2” outer diameter and 1” inner diameter.
- Can be used on barbells, dumbbell handles, weight bars, pulldown ropes, cable machine attachments, and kettlebells.
- Comes with a 1 year warranty
- Some people experienced fitting issues.
Summary: They are good for beginners but not for pros. The rubber is not military-grade and it won’t last long if used by a professional athlete.
Core Prodigy Fit Grips 2.0
- Made of military grade silicon.
- Has a very dense structure, having 2 inches outside diameter, 1 inch inside diameter, and 4 5/8 inches long.
- Features a unique cross-stitched grip.
- Comes with lifetime warranty.
- Doesn’t fit the hands as well for some users
Summary: The lifetime warranty states that it is very durable and can be used by athletes, bodybuilders, etc.
Greententljs Gym Bar Grips
Made of food grade silicone, these fat bar grips can fit a wide variety of fitness equipment and can help you intensify your weightlifting and bodybuilding exercises. Each pack includes two grips and costs much less than the other best fat bar grips. The unique block pattern makes it non-slippery and extremely comfortable for use. Highly recommended for beginners, it has been rated 4.3 star and has received more than 70 reviews.
- Sold as a pair and costs much less than other fat grips.
- Made of 100% food-grade silicone.
- Features a non-slip design.
- Can be used on a wide variety of equipment.
- It is made of silicon and not rubber. Silicon ones do not last long as the rubber ones do, but they are great for the price you pay.
Summary: Excellent product for beginners and for occasional thick bar training purposes.
Brinx Grips -Thick Fat Bar Training Adapter
Made with military grade silicon, this fat grip can be used on any dumbbell, barbell, cable attachment, or kettlebell. It has a large slit for easy and quick use. It also features a cross-hatched cut pattern that provides you an enhanced grip and safety. The manufacturer states that its ergonomic design will help reduce stress on your joints. It is available in two different sizes; one measures 4 inch in length and the other one measures 5 inches. Both of them have the same internal and external diameter.
- Ergonomically designed cross-hatched cut pattern for enhanced grip.
- Made from 100% durable high-quality silicone.
- Can be used by bodybuilders, powerlifters, athletes, UFC fighters, and personal trainers.
- The manufacturer claims that their fat grips will not rip, fade, compress, expand, or cause slipping any time soon.
- Comes with 100% satisfaction guarantee.
- Just like any other fat bar grips, some people experienced fitting issues with these ones as well.
Summary: With 4.6 star rating and 150 customer reviews, Brinks grips are absolutely perfect for your home gym. Whether you are a beginner or a professional bodybuilder, they are worth their price.
Although inexpensive, fat grips are very useful for building upper body muscles and strength. They are a great alternative to buying expensive thick bars. Further, one grip can be used on multiple equipment. So, you will not have to buy a whole different set of equipment for thick bar training. If you have been thinking of trying thick bar training, you must go for them. We hope we have provided you a very useful list of some of the best fat grips. For more such helpful information, keep reading our blog.